Thursday, August 27, 2009

January 15th, 2008

Already in the street I can hear the clicking and whirring of metallic instruments as LumberJacks make their way to my not-so-isolated-any-more hiding spot. The dusty window is set aglow with the red seeker-beams of the robots below, which means that I'm stuck crawling my way out of the building (and preferably on the opposite side). I draw my X-957 from its holster and sling my bag over my shoulder. Making my way towards the door, inching forward on my stomach like a poor kid in boot camp, I can hear the HotShot softly whirring in the corrider and I take aim at it through the wall, just as sure as it's got me locked into its sights.

I pull the trigger and the X gives its signature (and rather uncharacteristic) kick-back as it blasts a hole through the wall and sends the little bastard packing. The shot will no doubt trigger a wave of alarms from the LumberJacks below but if I have any hopes of getting out of this building alive I have little choice but to silence the messenger.

I worm my way into the corridor and I can already hear the heavy, metallic footfalls of the LumberJacks at ground level. Peeking down through the railing posts I can see the ominous little beams of red whisking back and forth in the dingy air. The windowless corridor gives me a chance to break away from those murderous machines a little bit, and getting my feet under me I duck-walk my way down the hall towards the fire exit. I'm nearly there when a lone Sweeper tackles me from its hiding spot inside a poorly lit room. It crashes into my right side with enough force to crack a rib and sends me flying into the adjacent room. Landing heavily I scramble for my X as the Sweeper lunges at me a second time. It fires a round of electrified lead from its shoulder-cannon and I manage to roll out of the way as the slug leaves a glowing, bluish hole in the floor beside me. With the Sweeper looming over me I make one more lunge for my X and I've almost got it when the building starts to tremble. The LumberJacks are smartbots and they know that I'm here. If I don't get out of here soon this Sweeper is going to be the least of my worries. Fortunately it takes a moment to balance itself from the sudden jolt to the building's foundation and I aim my X at its core and blast a smoldering hole through its central command deck. The legs give out and what's left of the Sweeper falls in a heap of scrap metal at my feet. If I had been attacked by a stronger bot, my X would have proved almost useless.

I pick up my things and sprint for the fire escape as the building starts to moan and pop. In the stairwell I run down flights as fast as I can without losing my balance. It would be a shame to die alone in a staircase after all I've been through.

At the bottom level I have to put my full body into the door to get it to open against the mutated vegetation that has grown large and tough on the other side. Taking a moment to survey the landscape I then make my exit, leaving the LumberJacks behind as they continue to demolish the building from the inside out

No comments:

Post a Comment