Thursday, August 27, 2009

January 13th, 2008, part 1

Inside a dusty shell that used to be a restaurant I find some coffe beans that haven't been opened. If I can find some way to grind them I'll be in business. I did a final walk-through to see if there was anything I'd missed. I've learned by now that there's no sense in rushing anywhere.

Most of the abandoned cars on the road still have their keys in the ignition, reminding me of the incomprehensible speed at which the blast wave ripped through the streets. A year ago it might have been worth it to stop and siphon a gas tank but by now everything's either dried up or been previously acquired.

A chill sneaks up on you when the sun goes down. Sometimes I think about how the bus would be so crowded at this time of the day. The windows foggy with the heat and breath captured inside the big automobile. Everyone hanging on tightly because the bus driver is ten minutes late between stops. I remember how I used to think that I had a lot to worry about. Back then everyone was busy proving to everone else that they were really important. When I think about how I used to worry it makes me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment